Monday, March 31, 2014

Banana Zucchini Bread



So this week I had a friend share a bunch of veggies with me. There was some zucchini in the box and with the hubby getting ready to go out of town, I wanted to make something I could freeze. I had some very very ripe bananas and decided that Banana Zucchini Bread would be perfect! I found a Pineapple Zucchini Bread recipe in one of my Taste of Home cookbooks and decided to modify it to use bananas instead of pineapple. This bread was a hit in our house and it was so easy to make! Despite my Things refusing to eat ANYTHING green... they just gobbled it up and didn't even notice that there was "green stuff" in it.



Ingredients:

  • 3 eggs
  • 2 medium zucchinis
  • 4 medium very ripe bananas
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
Directions:
Preheat oven at 350 degrees and grease loaf pans (I used one regular size and 2 minis). I use Pam baking spray with flour and things never stick! 

Mash up bananas with a potato masher and finely shred zucchini using a cheese shredder. I like to shred the zucchini over a paper towel so that it absorbs some of the liquid and it makes it easier to dump in the bowl.

 In a large bowl, combine the eggs, zucchini, bananas, oil, and vanilla.

Combine the dry ingredients and stir into the the egg mixture until just mixed. Fold in the nuts. I used macadamia nuts because I like them in banana bread (it's how my Mom always made it), but you can use any chopped nuts.

Pour into greased loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for about 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean. I started checking the minis at about 40 minutes in case they cooked faster since they are smaller.

Let loaf pans cool down for about 10 minutes before removing bread from pan and transferring to a wire rack.

Slice and serve! I'll be honest, normally I like to spread a little butter on my banana bread. This was so delicious and moist, it didn't even need the butter! I would have liked to have taken a nice final picture on a platter... but with how good this was making the house smell while it baked, my Things pounced on it the minute it cooled down enough to eat. This bread also freezes great, so just pop it into a Ziploc freezer bag, place it in the freezer, and then pull it back out and defrost when you are ready for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andria,
I am so going to have to make this. I might need an egg substitute, but otherwise it looks fabulous!
Thanks,
Laura

Mommie to 3 Things said...

You can use applesauce as a substitute. I always did one Tablespoon per egg.